[CALUG] moonlight ( silverlight) plus codecs ?

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Apr 22 15:46:24 EDT 2011

It's absolute junk in my opinion, but that's typical of anything written for .NET instead of Mono.  Understand that is not a criticism of Novell, far from it (Novell has been a key contributor in LibreOffice), but of .NET.  When people write for Mono, things are fine.  But when they write for .NET and then port to Mono, not considering Mono in the first place, then they get the rude awakening.  Silverlight -> Moonlight is more of this non-sense.

Like most people I tap VLC, Mozplugger and rely on its codecs, for my home, personal use.  For corporate use, there are indemnification issues of using such.  So unless its a stream coming down Moonlight, I don't bother.  And for streams coming down Moonlight, it's typically non-functional.  And forget NetFlix, totally non-usable unless you use WINE.  Like many things written for .NET and not Mono, WINE run-time is required for select functionality, because it has to emulate portions of the Windows executive.