[CALUG] [OMG] Script help needed. Any help would be appreciated.

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Dec 23 18:50:40 EST 2011

Not a script detail.  In fact, you don't want to mount such a remote drive in Linux (and put the VFS at the mercy of such a mount).  You want to use the network access facilities in your desktop, such as GNOME 2, GNOME 3 or Unity.

Skip everything except #4 and #5.  They give you 100% of what you need.  You don't need to associate accounts or anything (although you will need your login).

The Windows Networking UNC "Server" portion is right there in #4:
  \\docs.live.net at SSL\
The "Share" portion is your Live User ID in a sixteen (16) digital hexadecimal format.  It's at the end of the URL in #5:

  https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=0123456789ABCDEF

So for User ID 0123456789ABCDEF, the Windows Networking UNC is:
  \\docs.live.net at SSL\013456789ABCDEF\

You can stick the UNC in Explorer or IE and you can browse it directly (after entering credentials) in Windows.

But what is that "@SSL"?  It's clearly not a standard Windows Networking UNC to a Windows CIFS/SMB share.  So what is it?  Well, that's another story in itself.  ;)

Actually, it's a Microsoft UNC/mount implementation of WebDAV using HTTP-SSL.  Coincidentally, Microsoft does not support SSL protocols for mapping until NT6 (Vista, 7, 2008). NT5 (2000, XP, 2003) and earlier can browse, but the redirector in NT5 cannot map SSL.

For those that don't know, WebDAV is basically HTTP with file management.  The tricky part is that WebDAV has not only many versions, but some implementations have non-standard extensions.  There is DeltaV for revisioning, but even Subversion uses it own, extended DeltaV implementation (although it does work with standard WebDAV).

Linux has various WebDAV clients, built-in WebDAV mapping into KDE, GNOME, etc... even a kernel-level mount.  I do _not_ recommend the kernel mount.  Do _not_ script this, although the automounter may be okay (but I won't go there for now).  Use the built-in browsing facilities in many userspace clients, like KDE, GNOME, etc...

I've tried my "Places -> Connect to Server" in GNOME 3 (Fedora) with the "Secure WebDAV (HTTPS)" client.  I keep getting errors.  I think it's because my username has an at (@) symbol in it, or something else it does not like.  The Server (docs.live.net) should work, and the Folder (/0123456789ABCDEF) should work, along with the username/password.  But something tells me that Microsoft is doing other things.

I.e., for those of us who have dealt with newer releases of SharePoint (the 2nd worst MS product ever designed and over-marketed, but I won't go there), you know it has similar non-sense, especially for older NT5 (2000, XP, 2003) clients.

I'm going to try another WebDAV client.