[CALUG] Introducing OpenSource Maryland

Chuck Frain chuck at chuckfrain.net
Thu Feb 3 20:21:24 EST 2011

Greetings Everyone,

As most of you know I run the Ubuntu Maryland Loco Team. We have a
regular meeting that occurs the third Thursday of the month at the
Howard County Library from 7-9pm. Over the last year the attendees have
been discussing Ubuntu related topics as a smaller part of the meeting
each month. We have had more and more time devoted to talking about Free
and OpenSource in general. For the last several months I've been on the
fence about what to do. After a good discussion at the last meeting
we've decided to change the monthly Thursday night meeting a bit.

Rather than have it billed as the Ubuntu Maryland Team Meeting we're
going under a new name and group, Opensource Maryland. The Ubuntu
Maryland Loco Team will still play a part in the meetings. Ubuntu is the
distro that brought us together and we still believe that it is the
right Linux distro to recommend to the new Linux users.

The idea is to have a group that promotes Free and Open Source software
in general, no matter the platform. The aim is to become a place where
those who have questions can come to receive answers to why they should
be using Free software where it is appropriate. We have people in the
group that use Free and Opensource software at home to small business
settings. This will be a time and place to discuss topics that affect
our choices to use Free software.

The beginnings of the website is located at
http://www.opensource-md.org/ and we will build upon what is there
currently.

The first meeting for the group will be February 17th at the Howard
County Central Library from 7-9pm.

More information will be forthcoming as it happens.

If you have any questions or comments feel free to respond here or email
me directly.