[CALUG] Ripping streaming audio from internet radio?

Ed Browne edward_d_browne at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 06:34:07 EST 2011

Hi,
    Is there no easy way to record streaming audio from an internet
radio station?  There are quite a few dead ends or obsolete howto's
which I've worked through on the internet, but none that panned
out.  This one seems pretty convincing:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToRipRealaudioStreamsToMp3

but the key part of it is "vsound" - the apt-get doesn't find it, and
searching for vsound turns up an application that seems to do
something quite different (unless I'm mis-understanding it.)

Seems like there ought to be a very easy way to do this (record
an internet radio program, which is not being podcast, to be able
to listen to it later) but I'm not seein' it.  Can anyone point me in
the right direction?

Thanks again - Ed