[CALUG] [OT] Prof Development: Maryland GCEN/ENPM/MSE and other options in area ...

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Feb 7 15:57:34 EST 2011

Been meaning to bring this up at one of the meetings, but I haven't made one
yet, so here goes ...

Being that I'm MD taxpayer since mid-last year, and I'm planning on staying in
the state for a few years, I'm looking to complete a Master's program in
engineering, or possibly some other, technology field, in the area.  I'd like to
plan on enrolling for the fall, which means I need to get my paperwork in order
in the next month or two (if not sooner).  I noted U of Maryland offers a
graduate certificate (GCEN, 12 hours), non-MSE Professional program (30 hours,
of which the GCEN can apply) and traditional MS Engineering (MSE) programs that
aren't as terminal.

I assume there are other options in the area as well.  It doesn't have to be
engineering, although I'm leaning towards an engineering or engineering
technology program (ideally ABET accredited, many U of Maryland's are).  It
could be a terminal Master's program as well, as I don't plan on going any
higher.  I'm also open to Industrial Engineering or MBA-like Engineering
Programs (risk management, technology management, etc...), as long as they
aren't generic MBA programs where they make "all science majors" take 400-level
business courses as pre-requisites (where I'd just use the buttons on the
calculator who's formulas I already proved in my 4 semesters of microeconomics
and management in my BSE, unlike other, non-engineering science majors -- yes,
I've run into that too many times ;).

Is anyone on or associated with this list familiar with some of the
Masters-level Engineering or Technology programs in the area?  I've done a quick
survey, but would like to know what options I should consider.  Better is if
anyone is familiar with these programs, and been through them as well.  Even
better than that if you're similar my position (13 years out of school,
engineering experience and then IT after that, etc...), and know where I'm
coming from.

Thanx!  Probably best to respond off-list so I don't start too much of an OT
thread on-list.  ;)

-- Bryan J Smith, E.I. (FL 1100004667) [2]
   BSCpE, UCF '97 [3]

[1]  http://www.enpm.umd.edu/

[2]
https://www.myfloridalicense.com/LicenseDetail.asp?SID=&id=471ED6777E0BB32AB7D9140F217D60F4

Yes, I also need to evaluate if it's time to obtain my P.E.  I believe my FE
(fka EIT) exam is only good for 10 years (1997-2007), and I actually will need
to retake it now.  Could use a local review course for that too (possibly for
both FE and PE), as well as what's involved with licensure in MD (and the field
options, if they are different than FL).

[3]  http://www.eecs.ucf.edu/

--
Bryan J  Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance
Linked Profile:   http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith