[CALUG] irc client in Fedora 12

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 19:40:23 EDT 2011

Hi,

I can't get empathy to connect to a irc server.
The server is irc.efnet.net/UnallocatedSpace

I have turned firewall off using the gui firewall and se should be in permissive.
(how can I check se for permissive for ports ?)
(Before I turned firewall off ( disabled), I set trusted ports 6667 for both tcp/udp.)

Part of this may be something simple I'm missing, BUT,
if I click on the menu bar for another app, empathy disappears
from the screen and I have to restart.

Basically, the obvious symptom is the empathy menu
where "Chat => New Conversation or Chat => Add contact
remain always inactive (grey).

I have looked thru the F12 basic and DVD full directories for the string
"irc" looking for another irc rpm package in the distro but dont see one.
So, is there another irc client in the F12 distro ?
If not, where is one that WILL work !

Walt......

Celebrating over 13,000 emails in my Yahoo Inbox !