[CALUG] irc client in Fedora 12

Matt Rechkemmer calug-list at aesir-corporation.com
Wed Jul 20 21:19:37 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 04:40:23PM -0700, Walt Smith wrote:

> I can't get empathy to connect to a irc server.  The server is
> irc.efnet.net/UnallocatedSpace
>
> I have turned firewall off using the gui firewall and se should be in
> permissive.  (how can I check se for permissive for ports ?) (Before I
> turned firewall off ( disabled), I set trusted ports 6667 for both
> tcp/udp.)

Unless your firewall is filtering outbound connections, too, you shouldn't
need to "allow" 6667.  Only IRC servers will listen and accept connections
on 6667.

> I have looked thru the F12 basic and DVD full directories for the string
> "irc" looking for another irc rpm package in the distro but dont see one.
> So, is there another irc client in the F12 distro ?  If not, where is one
> that WILL work !

Try Irssi (http://irssi.org/).
It's a CLI client, but it's really powerful and great to pair with 'screen'.

Regards,

--
Matt Rechkemmer
calug-list at aesir-corporation.com

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke