[CALUG] irc client in Fedora 12

Matt Rechkemmer calug-list at aesir-corporation.com
Thu Jul 21 18:33:55 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 08:55:53PM -0700, Walt Smith wrote:

> also, F12 has a /usr/lib/pidgin but neither of the F12 distro
>
> list of packages I have on my HD has a  rpm package
>
> nor does
>
> $>locate pidgin     # find a  execute file.

It *is* available in F-12:
http://bit.ly/oH6qK2

You'll need to install it with 'yum' or something similar.

For example:
# yum -y install pidgin

> And why wouldn't empathy work ???   However, I'm not
>
> adamant about using it.   Perhaps a bit wondering how to fix it.

I've never used Empathy, but perhaps this might be worth reading?
http://live.gnome.org/Empathy/FAQ#How_can_I_connect_to_IRC_in_Empathy_.3F

Also, if you're not fond of CLI Irssi, try XChat.  It's a GTK+ GUI client.

Hope this helps,

--
Matt Rechkemmer
calug-list at aesir-corporation.com

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke