[CALUG] irc client in Fedora 12

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 14:51:34 EDT 2011

I would disagree that I need to update F12.
Virtually everything in a(ny) distro works when it's
released.  I'm not so paranoid that I need to do
every security upgrade.   Bug fixes for apps are usually
under control within a few months of releases.
Usually apps that don't work aren't included, but I can
mess up a box ( and mostly fix) as easily as the next guy.

IRC has been around since ... errrr.... welll.... DOS ?
So even a shell CLI should work.   Unfortunately,
Fedora replaced gaim with empathy.  The usual switcheroo
on apps acquiring new magical names no one knows.  Or
apps replaced with an unproven one and a new name no one
knows about.

I'm going to be looking at a  CLI IRC as well as a gui.

comment:
Frankly, I don't see a great deal in Fedora-12 that I didn't see/need in
a desktop back to Fedora 3.  However, I'm fascinated by the continous
betterment without the "better" part called "changes" for lack of a better
description.   I do understand the need for
improvements to those who need server speedups, multicore, VM machines
etc.   And I really don't like to get TOO far out of date just to see the new
stuff every so often.  One bugaboo is I'm not getting paid to look for bugs
or test out new apps.   But, I'm sorta almost maybe looking forward to
F16..( not the jet).   I doubt the dialer is any better... yes, I'm still using a 56k modem.
(The dialer gets as stuck under the same circumstances it did in F3,5,6,8,9.)
(I'm talking both "modem lights" and "Network Config Control").

Why dialup?  I'm haven't a reason to get a higher speed as I don't watch youtube
videos or get paid for web browsing..  I do this for fun.   I also have a Windows
box for some apps I use.  Who doesn't ??????

Will let you know results of IRC after I dilly a little more...
And perhaps get more replies...
when the weather cools a bit..  This lil office doesn't have AC.
But as long as the PC heat sink is kept clear of dust, the box keeps humming.

Message: 3