[CALUG] CentOS vs Scientific Linux

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Jun 9 13:01:02 EDT 2011

I cannot answer for any "EL builds," or any "upstream EL" for that matter.

However, I will point out two details from my own, personal/professional
experience:

1.  CentOS states they strive for bit-for-bit ABI/API compatibility with
"upstream EL"
2.  Scientific Linux does not, and has overridden "upstream EL" at times

I think #1 and #2 speak for themselves.

I also want to point out three more things from my own, personal/professional
experience:

A.  Scientific Linux repos can be used with Red Hat Enterprise Linux
B.  Red Hat offers low-cost HPC subscriptions, including the RHEL6 "ComputeNode"
build/entitlement
C.  Red Hat also continues to offer a RHN developer subscription that is peanuts
too

In the case of "A", I know of people running Red Hat subscriptions and then
tapping the Scientific Repo additives.  That way they have the fully supported
Red Hat platform base, and then what they want plunked from Scientific Linux.
Add in the "B" option, and the costs are actually fairly inexpensive overall if
you need a HPC solution, especially with the dedicated "ComputeNode"
build/entitlement in RHEL6.

In the case of "C", Red Hat has always offered a low-cost RHN developer
subscription as well.  This allows open source and other projects to get a RHN
entitlement, updates, etc... so they can target the platform ("EL") in general
(in addition to its also including all middleware, like JBoss, including RPM
packaged and discrete JBoss).  E.g., instead of having to wait on CentOS to
release a new major/minor update, one can start working on the latest Red Hat
Enterprise Linux directly, and time the release to coincide with "EL rebuilds,"
like CentOS, as well.  The nice side-effect of this is that one can target both
a freely redistributable EL rebuild as well as a commercial supported solution,
testing against both, and not just an EL rebuild, and hoping it works with Red
Hat Enterprise Linux.

If you already have a Microsoft TechNet or, even more so, MSDN subscription,
then a RHN developer subscription is a no-brainer, especially since it's only 2
figures, compared to 3 to 4 for Microsoft TechNet to MSDN.  That always shocks
me when people say they have TechNet or MSDN, but don't want to pay for a RHN
developer subscription.