[CALUG] z/Linux or Linux on the Mainframe

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 12:31:11 EST 2011

----------------

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:43:48 -0500
> From: "Eric K. Dickinson" <eric.dickinson at nih.gov>
> Subject: [CALUG] z/Linux or Linux on the Mainframe
> To: <calug at unknownlamer.org>
>
> Would there be any interest in the community on a
> presentation about Linux on the Mainframe?
>
> eric

yes.

I'd like to know what a mainframe is in todays terms
running Linux, and what apps on linux take advantage.

It seems like the x86 ( as the popular example )
has the architecture of what used to be a mainframe.
For example, virtual architecture, loose and tightly coupled
cores, multicores, shared memory, modules in racks and
bios or monitor or no (?), RISC vs complex, multiple racks
and the communication system (Tokien Ring?<g>).

and of course, how linux is used in the mainframe.

Perhaps the context would be an x86 in a mainframe architecture?
IOW, I don't know.
A "CPU context" discussion comparing your mainframe CPU to x86
might be interesting to those with only x86 experience.

thx for offering,

Walt......