[CALUG] adding simple text to images

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 15:55:52 EST 2011

hi,

how can I add some simple text to an image, either photos
or a bmp ( that I created years ago with some windows
program ) ??  The images open OK in any viewer....

I want to clear a rectangular area, and paste in text.

I have
eye of gnome
evince
gthumb
showphoto
digikam
gimp

I can't get gimp to simply put in text...errrr, I can,
but it won't actually paste... ..  multiple
undos get rid of the text I tried to insert.
I have multiple select rectangles
open and other misc stuff that won't go away.

digikam doesn't seem to have any simple editor.
And was a PITA - took an hour to find that "config"
was the place to simply add a directory from...thats crazy.

showphoto can add text, but can't eliminate the bits in a selected area.
I need to clear a selected area before adding text.
And when I try to add text, the window size becomes greatly
reduced and I can't see what I'm doing.

suggestions ??

Walt......