[CALUG] adding simple text to images

John Alan Hastings jah1066 at aol.com
Fri Mar 11 11:25:15 EST 2011

The question of the gimp or LibreOffice (nee OpenOffice) boils down to
this: the gimp is a tool for working on images; LO is a tool for
producing documents.  For working on images, the difference can be
explained like this: the gimp is like walking into a professional
woodworkers shop.  The tools are all sharp and stored in decent order,
and they are all there.  The place is clean and you have room to work.
LibreOffice is more like the handy tool set you buy to have around the
house.

The learning curve for the gimp is steeper; the learning curve for a
master woodworker is steeper than being a Saturday fixit guy around the
house.  In both cases, when you have climbed the steeper curve, you will
have sharper skills.

By the way, an OO/LO document is nothing but a zipped file.  If you have
a OO/LO document with images in it, and you want to work on them in the
gimp, simply unzip the document and you will find a subdirectory
containing the images.  They will have funny names, but they are
standard jpeg, gif, png and such files, and you can work on them in the
gimp, put them back into the document, and zip it back up.  (Make sure
that the original document file is not present in the directory you are
going to zip or OO/LO will not accept the file.  I suggest making a
subdirectory, cd'ing into it and doing something like unzip ../foo.odt
to keep the original file out of it).

Alan