[CALUG] gimp : layers and text boxes

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 00:40:19 EDT 2011

--- On Wed, 3/16/11, Bernard Karmilowicz <karmilow at intencorp.com> wrote:

> From: Bernard Karmilowicz <karmilow at intencorp.com>
> Subject: Re: [CALUG] gimp : layers and text boxes
> To: "Smith, Walt" <waltechmail at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "CALUG newsgroup" <calug at unknownlamer.org>
> Date: Wednesday, March 16, 2011, 7:29 PM
> Hi Walt:
>
> > I have simple line drawing in a layer called
> background. I have many names entered using text
>
> > Should they remain in separate layers?
>
> That depends on what your intent is for the names. For
> example, whether to display them all or in subsets
> simultaneously, or whether to apply
> scaling/stretching/rotation unequally to each name. If the
> list of names is always handled as a single complete list,
> then a single text layer for the list will make the names
> easier to manage.

yes, (catchall answer)..
<g>
I want everything displayed.  I see there is an "eye" in the "layer"
gimp window to select what is displayed.  All will be.

I want each text object (each is now a layer ) to have the same
attributes ( font ) and same size and rescale rates, except I'd
like to edit the text in each object
occasionally, and perhaps resize or move the text object.

( "rescale rate" meaning if I shrink or shift the entire bitmap).

I do not want to merge the text into the background layer( bit draws
of lines ), as it would not be easy to edit the text.   Think of the
whole bmp as a tree; lines and text.
I suppose I neglected to mention the context of the lines and text.

I see there is "merge layer" and "merge down" and "flatten".
Don't quite know what they really mean.  I tried merge layers one time
and it appeared as though all the text became just bits on the canvas,
but still separate as a layer from background.

I guess I'll have to do a  little trial and error, but right
now it's no skin off my teeth if I have 20 names and 20 text objects.

thx,

Walt .. . . .