[CALUG] IPV6 demo/learning lab

Arkhitekton email4arkhitekton at mac.com
Sun May 1 16:13:51 EDT 2011

Hi Walt,

I think this would be a good topic.  I run an IPv6 network at home along with an IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnel to get through my ISP's network.  Linux and the other modern operating systems will automatically take in IPv6 address if they are able on a network.  While its not difficult to setup and run an IPv6 network at home you do need the right pieces in place on your network:  IPv6 router, firewall, etc.  You also need to set your DHCP records to point to an IPv6 DNS rather than just the ISP's IPv4 DNS.  I'd also be happy to talk about the use of an IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnel service and how I've configured my DHCP, etc.  I've used the Apple Airport product for my router, which while I'm happy to talk about it, it's most probably not the first choice at CALUG.  If someone has set up a Linux-based IPv6 router, that would most probably be more appropriate to talk about.

Perhaps we could do a set of mini presentations on our IPv6 setups during the meeting with the lab?

We can discuss this further at May's CALUG meeting with the aim to do something at June or July's meeting unless Chuck has already got topics.

Kind regards,

Gareth