[CALUG] FF6 to use a optimized compiler

Etan Reisner deryni at unreliablesource.net
Mon May 2 23:26:19 EDT 2011

On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 08:55:46AM -0700, waltechmail at yahoo.com wrote:
> http://digitizor.com/2011/04/30/ff6-fast-less-sluggish/
>
> The claim here is that FF6 team is using the better features
> of the gcc 4.5 compiler. I'd like to ask for an opinion whether
> this may lead to a faster gnome, kde, or the apps for which they're
> built ? Could/would the things learned from the FF team be applicable
> to making "better" compiles of apps ??
>
> thx,
>
> Walt.......

>From a quick read of the linked blog post (and the one linked from that)
this mostly just looks like Firefox benefitting from features working in
gcc 4.5 that either didn't previously exist (or existed but didn't
previously work). This doesn't sound like firefox doing anything specific.

They did do a number of specific things but they appeared to be related to
mitigating dependency issues introduced by the newer gcc and libstdc++
versions (and thus being related to their ability to ship static binaries
for more systems) rather than anything being anything directly related to
performance.

    -Etan