[CALUG] Baltolug: Linux Courses

Jim Sansing jjsansing at verizon.net
Sat Oct 29 08:07:26 EDT 2011

Stephen,

If you are really just looking for command line syntax, there are lots
of Linux help sites, and command line is usually the first thing they go
over.  Try linux.com and linuxquestions.org (check out the wiki).

Once you are somewhat comfortable with using the command line, you can
google for 'linux command line' and you will find lots of posts where
people have discovered a nifty string of commands to accomplish some
task.  Be sure to read the responses, because they often have alternate,
and sometimes better, ways of accomplishing the same task.

However, using the command line on Linux requires more than
understanding syntax.  You have to understand what a command does and
the arguments that can be used with it.  That said, have you looked into
any of the Linux certifications?  They should teach you the commands you
need to know while you're learning about administering various
components of the system.

Finally, if you're serious about becoming adept at the command line, you
should learn how to write shell scripts to combine several commands that
you use frequently.  These allow you enter your own parameters so they
are not limited to a single situation.

Later . . .   Jim