[CALUG] CALUG Spam

Jim Sansing jjsansing at verizon.net
Tue Sep 27 10:26:28 EDT 2011

Yesterday, I set the source (irish at gmail.com) to be moderated and sent
an Email saying if we see any more of it, they will be deleted.  It
might be a member who got compromised (fake Email IDs usually have more
random characters), so I'm giving them a chance to correct the problem.
So far I have only seen about 4 total, but I get a lot of admin messages
about the hundreds of spam messages being blocked, so I might not be
noticing all of them.

The only "filters" we have on the list is 'members only' and attachment
filtering.  It is possible to require approval of new members, but for
now that is not required (and I consider it a last resort).  But this
means that if a bot joins, it can send spam.  I can delete the member
and not allow it to ever join again, but if the bots are targeting us,
fighting them manually is hopeless.  In my experience, CAPTCHA works
reasonably well against bots.

I don't know if mailman has CAPTCHA or any other addon filters, but
since I've only seen a few spam Emails every several months, I'm not
going to ask Clinton to take time to work on it.  However, if it gets
worse, I will look into it.

Later . . .   Jim