[CALUG] Choosing a residential/SMB high speed internet provider

Randal T. Rioux randy at procyonlabs.com
Tue Aug 7 16:24:04 EDT 2012

I have both FiOS and Xfinity for my home lab. This is for failover, task
separation (bad stuff / good stuff) and dual-stack IPv6 (from Comcast).

Speeds are comparable. I get the "cheapest" packages and average 24Mbs
FiOS and 20Mbs Comcast.

Here are my pluses and minuses:

 (-) Comcast customer service is world renown for complete and utter
stupidity. No matter what your issue is, prepare for your entire
evening, possibly evenings, to be completely shot.

 (+) Verizon customer service can be great. You have a 3 in 5 chance of
getting someone who knows what they're doing. Otherwise, hang up and
call back. Hope for a different voice.

 (+) Comcast - IPv6

 (-) FiOS never heard of IPv6

 (-) Both: Price. But, after intro periods, call and quibble. This has
worked in the past :-)

 (+) I've never been throttled on either, and I have a lot of bitorrents
going

 (+) I run open WiFi and have several active botnets and honeynets.
Neither of them turn it off or sent nasty notes. It actually is "part of
my job" so I'm waiting to explain that ;-)

Final advice: they're all evil. Just pick the one with the best price!

Randy