[CALUG] CentOS compat with Fedora ???

Bob Cavey wedgeshot at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 19:03:32 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Walt Smith <waltechmail at yahoo.com> wrote:

> for applications and whatnot.
>
> I'm not interested in compiling anymore...

  Ah brings back my gentoo days..... I miss the flexibility sometimes.

> There are some apps, for example in the fedora
> electronics lab (FEL ) distro. After some searching,
> it seems there are a lot more apps than can be
> "immediately" installed in Fedora, and not so many
> in CentOS.  And I haven't a clue if there is any
> compat with CentOS and Fedora versions with app
> installs... ( my guess is there isn't any easy way).
>
> What about plugins for say, video's etc ??

REHL/CentOS can do mostly all that with EPEL, RPMForge and other third
parties alike until you need that awesome new app written in python 2.7.4
and then you are screwed.... hahaha back to compiling YOU GO.  I can't
remember the name but someone at work configured his dev box with a single
yum package that ties in epel, rpmforge, and one other all in one config to
give you all the goodness.

The only problem with RedHat is that they refuse to keep up with all the
newer branches of python, LibreOffice, video editors, and other newer apps.
 BUT, the drawback is you will be upgrading every 18 months versus 5 years,
actually a recent change to 7 years support from RedHat so you should just
roll w/ CentOS as your base OS and then play/run anything else in VM's...
well that is if you have a VT enabled processor.  I'm really diggin my new
Intel i5's ( 2500K 3.3G 6M ) with 4+ GIG of RAM gives plenty of playing
room.  Just gotta get off the wallet ;)

my 3 cents

 - B