[CALUG] [SOLVED] wireless on a desktop

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 14:38:13 EDT 2012

Short story:

the software is nm-applet

NetworkManager works as advertised... I stupidly didn't check the CRT
panel icon thinking it was ethernet only.  After contortions, and,
a look at a site suggested by a list reader:

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/sec-Interacting_with_NetworkManager.html

a second look at the icon showed it does all the things I need,
and the software is nm-applet.

Two cells are available, and while NM shows "connected",
FF doesn't want to connect: it gets as far as "looking up DNS"
and is stuck.  Sig strength is pretty weak, two bars.
I see a "lock" icon beside the OTHER cells detected.

So, on the surface, I'm good to go...  I'll play some more.

THANKS to the list,

Walt.......

--I've been unemployed so long, that when I'm on my death
bed, I'll wish I could spend one more day at the office !!