[CALUG] need some web advice

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell at qis.net
Thu Mar 14 18:27:14 EDT 2013

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013, mhartwx wrote:

> I took over webmastering for my non-profit bird-owners club last year &
> have run into a problem because our free web host (directNIC) isn't free
> since the beginning of this month.  I found another free host but wasn't
> able to open an account using our existing domain (though I followed
> their on-line instructions).  Since it's all free there's no tech
> support & I can't figure out what's wrong.

well the low end directnic account is only $4.95 a month and you might be
able to fund it by getting members of your club who need websites to
pay a $1 month to have a subdomain. It is a pretty good price for the
service

5GB of hosting space  with up to 50 subdomains for the $5 a month is
pretty good.

I have used directnic for years as my domain register and I like the fact
that I can phone them and talk to a real person about any problems i might
have.

Free hosting services often give you the sort of support you might
expect for "free".

Currently I host with QWK.net at 269 a year for 7.5GB of web space.

Qwk.net has a $50 a year package but it only has 200 MB of disk space
available.

what you do since your directnic domain name is already paid for is to go
to the other hosting company and register a different domain name and then
go to the directnic domain manager and do a pointing of your existing
domain name to the new domain name. You then go into the domain manager
and select the change hosting option icon and then change hosting
type and then choose the option redirected.

If you want to move the registration of your domain name to a
different registrar then there is sometimes a penalty fee
depending on the registrar.

However for $4.95 a month my preference would be to stick with direct.nic.

They are in New Orelans and provided internet support during the
hurricane Katrina disaster which is one of the reasons I have kept with
them.