[CALUG] still need a consultant to set up linux partition or equivalent

Bernard Karmilowicz karmilow at intencorp.com
Sat Sep 14 22:53:56 EDT 2013

Hello Ainsley:

> So you had win7 vbox vm on a linux host? Did you do updates on the win7? And the updates did not mess your linux vbox host up?

Having not worked with Jim's setup I cannot speak to that specifically, but I can regarding full(hardware) virtualization rather than hybrid virtualization.

Virtual-guests running over a fully-virtualized host do not know they are virtual. From the virtual-quest's perspective, they are running alone and independently over a physical computer - so anything you would do with/to an operating-environment (OE) over real hardware you do in the same manner over the fully-virtualized host without concern for affecting the host or the other guests.

Jim brought up a good point; When developing software intended for use over a network (e.g. client-server, or peer-to-peer application programs), development and testing (especially of cross-platform) is made a whole lot easier when done in front of a single physical computer running a virtual-guest representing each computer (running the same or different OEs) running the application software on a virtual network.

Though you still have all the same SysAdmin chores (e.g. security and bug-fix updates) to maintain your virtual-guests as you would for real computers, you don't need the KVM switch (and tangle of cables), power, space, and cooling real computers require (save perhaps the KVM if all but one of your boxes is headless).

Hope this helps.

- Bernie

--
   IntEn Corporation