[CALUG] Installing FreeBSD

Brad Ackerman brad at facefault.org
Sun Apr 5 13:17:50 EDT 2015

On Apr 4, 2015, at 15:25, Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:

>> and even kept csh as the root shell.
>
> Licensing anyone?  Although they could adopt ksh93, there's a reason
> why csh is the default.  But one still has choice in even BSD.

csh is the still the default root shell in FreeBSD, but the default user shell is ash (as /bin/sh). OS X 10.0 to 10.3 did ship tcsh as default, but otherwise I haven’t seen a csh default user shell in years outside of certain government systems which were also ten different kinds of CF accreted over thirty years in a parallel universe where Kerberos never existed.

—
Brad Ackerman N1MNB                PGP: 0x9F49A373
brad at facefault.org   <*>   http://bsa.smugmug.com/