[CALUG] what do you run on Windows client to connect to ubuntu server?

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Feb 4 15:57:29 EST 2015

Cygwin/X.

Install Cygwin and install it's X-Server, which _is_ DirectX
accelerated (has been for many years).

It does OpenGL over X11 (GLX) too, but I haven't pushed it too hard.
GLX has pretty much not been further developed after OpenGL v1.5 IIRC.
So a lot of OpenGL v2 (and later) 3D rendering features may not work
over X11.

With that said, for Cygwin/X, generally I launch an Xterm, actually
gnome-terminal aka MATE terminal, and use "ssh -X" where ever I want
to go.

- bjs

P.S.  This is one of the reasons people purchase, and an ISV with an
OpenGL application will "Certify", against Hummingbird, Reflections,
etc...  However, I've had generally had great luck with Cygwin/X.
YMMV

Bryan J Smith - http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith