[CALUG] ubuntu Unity alternatives.

Ron Swift rswift at swiftstaffing.com
Thu Jan 1 13:24:29 EST 2015

I agree with the other suggestions regarding Linux Mint and Xubuntu.
Another option is Lubuntu which is another light weight version of Ubuntu that uses LXDE desktop environment that performs well on older machines.
Moreover, although Ubuntu default Unity desktop is different from gnome or KDE and it may not install on older hardware, it grows on you after using it for some time. You can find anything on your system along with much debated online commercial products by using the dash search feature at the top of the left menu panel (the Windows key on some keyboards also activate it). The online search feature can be disabled.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad
Ron Swift