[CALUG] ubuntu Unity alternatives.

John Alan Hastings jah1066 at aol.com
Thu Jan 1 15:06:39 EST 2015

So far almost everyone who has replied has recommended Mint as a
replacement for Ubuntu.  To be honest, I cannot offer any advice that it
better than that.  Your situation sounds /exactly/ like mine, and I,
too, hated Unity.  (It is sad, Ubuntu was a very good distro for a very
long time.  Why they did not do something like Gubuntu beats me.)

So, if I have nothing more to offer, why do I reply?  Well, because
nobody has mentioned that Mint in /beautiful./  I mean gorgeous.

But let me go back.  My first attempt was LMDE with gnome.  It was not a
pleasant thing.  It seems that gnome has decided to drop support for
transparency in the gnome terminal.  Now, not only have i become very
fond of transparency, it has gotten exactly to the same point in my life
as that first cup of coffee in the morning.  I /need/ it.  I do not want
to contemplate living the rest of my life without transparent windows.

And so, I tried cinnamon. It blew me away.  Not just a transparent
shell, but transparent start menus, and while at it, hundreds of drop
deal gorgeous themes.  And then, starting with Mint 17, you can have
transparency on /any/ window; with the cursor on the titlebar, the mouse
wheel adjusts the transparency of whatever window you are using.

Okay, okay.  I know.  You have work to do.  So do it.  It is rock solid.
Rpck solid is necessary; rock solid and beautiful is hard to beat.

Enjoy.

Alan

| The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury.  Due north of
| the center we find the South End.  This is not to be confused
| with South Boston which lies directly east from the South End.
| North of the South End is East Boston and southwest of East
| Boston is the North End.
Alan Hastings
jah1066 at aol.com
GnuPG/PGP Public key, 2014: 0303B917