[CALUG] February 10 Meeting Announcement - OpenVPN

Chuck Frain chuck at chuckfrain.net
Sun Feb 7 15:32:38 EST 2016

Greetings Everyone,

Please join us February 10 for a talk on OpenVPN.

After last months meeting and discussion about home networks, one of the
common topics that came up during and after the talks were of remote
access. In the course of talking with people it was found that not everyone
wants to use ssh port forwarding to a machine back home, setting local
proxy settings for apps and the OS, and other such things to gain secure
access to their home networks.

Over the last month I've taken the time to set up an OpenVPN server on my
home network and put together a slide presentation on various steps I took,
issues I encountered and overcame, and will discuss some of the benefits to
using a VPN in various situations. While the talk is focused on using
OpenVPN in a home environment, the topic will be applicable to utilizing it
in small businesses and with providers on the internet.

What this talk will not cover is the maths behind the encryption
technology; it will be called magic and just assumed to work as expected.
If you have a specific question[s] you would like me to [try to] address
during my talk, please feel free to send me an email directly or reply to
this post.

The meeting will take place at OmniTI, located in Fulton, MD. The ddress is
11830 West Market Place Fulton, MD 20759. The building is located near the
Harris Teeter, easily seen as you approach on rt 216. As you approach the
Harris Teeter head on, the OmniTI offices are in the complex to the right.
We will be using the back entrance which is surrounded by plants which
leads directly to the meeting room.

Please join us for pizza and soda from 6:30-7pm. We do not currently have a
piza sponsor, so if you or someone you know is interested sponsoring this
for us, please contact me directly. Until a new sponsor is found we will
ask those partaking in the food and drink to make a donation (not required)
to help offset the cost. Anything collected over the actual cost will be
applied to the next month's order.

The meeting will start about 7pm

See you Wednesday!

http://calug.org