[CALUG] Recommended remote linux hosting

Keith keith at keithf4.com
Fri Jan 29 16:26:58 EST 2016

Digital Ocean sounds like exactly what you need. If that's one that has
something that turns you off, I'd be curious what it is. Be aware, though,
that unlike Amazon and some other cloud hosting services, there's no
"firewall" or network gateway between you and the internet. You're out
there with all ports wide open when the instance first goes up. So, highly
recommend following their tutorials for turning on iptables and fail2ban
and changing default ports for things like ssh and possibly your vpns.

My referral link below will give you $10 free credit to try it out. They
offer an instance that's only $5 a month, so if you go with that one it's
two months free! I've been hosting my own website and irc client on that
same $5 instance for about a year now with zero issues. I also threw the
extra $1 in there for them to automatically back it up, so it's now $6 a
month.

https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=71974e45e7fb
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-a-firewall-using-iptables-on-ubuntu-14-04