[CALUG] September 14th Meeting Annoucement - "Data Science on the Command Line"

Chuck Frain chuck at chuckfrain.net
Fri Sep 9 18:37:49 EDT 2016

Greetings Everyone!

For the September 14th meeting we'll be welcoming Mike Goff and his talk
entitled "Data Science on the Command Line".

Mike will give an overview of some Linux CLI commands including w3m, grep,
sed, wget and then run the output through some regexes that demonstrate
building a data pipe line for Natural Language Preprocessing. He will show
how this process is useful regardless of what a person wants to do with
their data.

Feel free to bring a laptop to try out the examples as we go along.

Mike is currently an undergraduate math student and finds the FOSS
Community to be one of the most useful resources available to him. He
spends as much time as he can working with data as a tool to better
understand how he learns. His goal is to share what he learns along the way
with others so that they too can have a positive learning experience.

Our meetings are held at the offices of OmniTI in Fulton, MD. From
6:30-7:00pm we enjoy some social time over pizza and soda. (We are looking
for a new pizza sponsor. Until then, we are asking for, but not requiring,
donations) The presentations start about 7pm and last until they are done.
The meetings generally wind up about 9pm.

http://calug.org
http://omniti.com
http://omniti.com/is/here