[CALUG] (OT ) probably--gosh, Android smartphone Q'ss

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 18:59:38 EST 2017

Hi,

I'm interested in learning more how to efficiently
use my Android 6. If you have a pretty good idea of the
ins and outs of use, and popular apps, I'd like to hear from
you privately, perhaps you can answer some questions.

Or provide me with a user friendly website. !!

Note:  I have the phone manual, which gives a reasonable
intro to the phone.  But is lacking in vendor added stuff,
and other things about apps.  I'm also gradually using
more of the cell data connections.  I'm iteratively
"moving on up".

NOTE: While Android is linux, immediate trials might be
using a PC with Win 7.

Some of the musings - probably best not answered to the group
list,

I'm starting with the way the phone was setup by the vendor;
it's very google oriented.

I prefer to keep many settings off ( globally ?) ,
such as gps, microphone, camera, etc... i.e The tunny browser
wont work SPECIFICALLY because I wont turn on the
privacy gadgets...  so I installed firefox and Dolphin.

I don't use icons for email, hangouts, gallery, maps, google, gmail,
play movies, weather, youtube ...

( my preliminary testing is that some apps on google
are pretty crappy, and don't do anything more than the
phone itself if you can find the right clicky icon. ).

There's a youtube app.  Why is it different than
simply using Dolphin ?

Do I need to root the phone to remove pre-installed apps ?

Is it worth removing them ?

Is there a reliable place to get apps other
than google ?

I figured out how to use tethering.  So the Android is
a ... uhhhh.. Hotspot to a cell tower...  (??), and I
connect to PC using usb cable.

How easily can this be done for the Android hotspot-
but connecting the Android to the PC using wifi.. ??
(I spent a little time trying to simply do Ad Hoc
( no cell turned on ) and
didn't undersdtand the setup....
i.e. in a ad hoc, do I need to start some servers ( ftp, ssh,
in in the classic way ? )..

There's a wifi app.  But it wants my gps location !!
is there a substitute ? and how valuable is this app ?

PS: I have no f--ing idea what a group is:  home group,
work group...   except it seems to be some administrative
organization in the pc...  and then there's all that "Sharing"
stuff ....

I tried setting up a Bluetooth.   Got it figured out..
( too darn complicated !!! in Win 7 ).   However, it doesn't
seem to show in the file Explorer.   I have to use the menu bar
pull down  ( an HP app ? ) icon to select..
send files   or
receive files...

This seems rather archaic and more confusion than ftp  !!

I am also -- several times a day ---
going to "Settings" to turn the cell data on,
then I use it for a few minutes, and then go back to
"settings" to turn it off..  (I don't trust any of my
fingers clicking on some thingy that goes web hopping ..)
Is there an app that makes this chore easier ?

Lastly, for the moment, I have a 7 year old Android
I'd like to use for only 2 things: calling, and picture
taking.   It has an 8 meg camera, and is a brand name
from V-Z company made by motorola.   V Android 2.3.4,
Spec says CDMA.   It does have only one sd card, no other
sockets.  Will this work on todays 4 carriers ?
( using say, bought time from Tracphone etc  ?) ..

I understand I still need to call V-Z and get them to
"free" the phone...

Send private email if appropriate.
Should be in the headers.. for the list..

thx,
Walt ...

----
 The government is lawless, not the press (people).
 ( [Supreme Court] Justice Douglas re: The Pentagon Papers )