[CALUG] [solved] my NET pipe on modem always full

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 12:33:50 EST 2017

Many of you will know this, but maybe not
the full effects ..

This is the Firefox continuous 1E100.net or Amazon, or AWS problem
which stops Firefox from working ...  and, stops other apps that may
have an Internet connection on the PC.

soln is below, search "HERE"..

I've had trouble with Linux Firefox, and konqueror in some way
being slow, loading slow, and often not completing loads... I mean,
like, virtually locked up with no responses from tabs that
have a forever little circle going around... not connecting,
transferring data for very long periods of time....

Now that I've described the user POV,
the modem light ( yes, dialup - don't groan just yet )
would start blinking, and be continuous, like all the time.
Whatever it was , was hogging probably 90% of my modem time-
or probably more.  The PC could sit literally for an hour and not stop.
I'd like to know if anyone has looked at their own higher speed
connection  to see how much bandwidth this is eating up,
or how much of the desired data is going to waste  ?

Or is it waste ?

tcpdump often revealed 1E100.net, but also lots and lots of things like
yahoo or amazon accesses.   Continuosly.

this has been going on for about 5 years, maybe longer.
The only tell tale was that if I closed FF, the data stream stopped.
I had no way to determine what was originating the stream: I
simply don't know enough, except it SEEMED to be firefox, and often
changed up a small bit if I closed "classic" yahoo web page.
But then it would start again.   I usually started konqueror when
FF was not closed out.   Don t recall effects.  Doesn't matter now.

I had done several hours+ Internet searches to no avail. Some
answers nailed the 1E100 - google connection.  Which is
sorta shown on whois-- only real thing was 1E100 used google DNSs.

FFis just plain crummy in that moderate level users don't have the
tuning they need in one cohesive place.    And they have some
defaults that can't be bypassed ( IMHO at this time ).
I have lots of OS complains, but will stick to FF at the present.
PS ( several tech sites won't let me read them since FF 46
is "too old"  ... say WHAT ?????   Some day I'll get rich and
ramp up their competition...  am I awake ? )

BACK to the present:
Finally located a blog that described the problem, and mentioned
something about google keeping me safe...    (  ????  )
but not safe from google...

HERE IT IS:

The  fix, to me, makes no sense...
go to:
Edit
preferences
security tab in this window

UNCHECK
Block reported attack sites
Block reported web forgeries

close and restart FF.

I've seen this page a few times:   The descriptions are written
to be scary.    So who wants to uncheck them ??
CRAP !!!!

Uh, my problem TO ME  was not my selection of web sites.
Sites attack me ?
OK, I can see maybe a web forgerie..   occassionally
( tell me about the frequency of such things )

But, in this case, google is my enemy.
It took over.   Made web browsing almost impossible
and costing me literally a thousand hours in lost time.

I can state, that having used a  smartphone for sites generally
not involving video, both wifi and cell service, that my dialup  Internet connection
seems as fast  as a darn smartphone.  I can now get back to turning
off a lot of javascript that I had turned on...

OH !! and another thing !!  ( sorry -- another little flame )
The tabs show a site has stopped downloading a website
when the little activity circles stop.  BUT the Internet connection
shows a continued downloading of data, I think from javascript....
TO ME, this is a load of crap..   The site never stopped downloading
so the indicator is a lie.      There should be an easy way to control..
 --- I said EASY --  certain javascript actions...   and heck, even cookies
are somewhere else in the maze of menus.... sorta ...

I see the hype about FF 57.   But I don't trust it.  Except for maybe the
speed -- IFF    you have a multicore PC...     But I certainly  won't trust
the users control UNTIL someone tells me the user control
is better and not meant to confuse and obfuscate -- I assume in order
to maximize corporate friendliness..

----
 The government is lawless, not the press (people).
 ( [Supreme Court] Justice Douglas re: The Pentagon Papers )