[CALUG] how to moonwalk to linux

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Sun Oct 15 13:30:13 EDT 2017

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 08:37:50PM +0000, Walt Smith wrote:
> so, what do I do at
> >grub

A quick search for "grub shell" finds this guide:

https://www.linux.com/learn/how-rescue-non-booting-grub-2-Linux

> rpm --force ivh  kernel-x.x.x.x.x.x 514

Ouch, if you had to --force a kernel RPM, I have no idea what it might
have done with regard to the initial ramdisk and grub setup. This is
approaching the point where it may be easier to just get another hard
drive, install from scratch, and then mount the original drive and
copy over the data.

It's probably possible to boot from an installation CD/DVD and
manually rpm a working kernel onto the hard drive by mounting the
filesystems and redirecting the installation prefix, BUT that risks
causing more problems (e.g. potentially wiping out your filesystems)
if you don't get it right so I can't really recommend it.

                              -Dave Dodge/dododge at dododge.net