[CALUG] usb hard disk with ntfs

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 22 14:07:53 EDT 2017

Hi,

A simpler problem then my last email..
(I had a good reply on 2 items ).

***
My CentOS6.8 and CentOS7 "basic install"
will not mount 2 hard disks that are ntfs in a usb box.
***

1.  How can I get them -- the same drive, the same
partition --  to mount on both Windows
and Linux ?  ( I would guess either a ntfs driver
in linux or change the disk format - more below ).

2.  What filesystem should I use on a hard disk inside
a USB expander box to be compatible with Linux and Windows ?

3.  Can I convert the ntfs filesystem on the hard dirive
to the proposed fs without losing files?

4.  Would it generally be desirable to make separate
partitions on each drive?    ( resize )  ... one for linux
and one for ntfs?   I'd prefer just one filesystem.

5.  Is there a package for each distro adding such
file support ?

6.  I could try this, but desire quick answer to a virtual
ubuntu running in Windows host should there be unexpected
results:   When I plug in the USB  box with a ntfs hard disk,
will/should the linux (a.)   see the USB device  (b.) mount
the device ???

7.  What is the general state of Linux using ntfs ?
I recall years ago the sequence of attempts by debvelopers
to make it possible, and there were always "glitches"..

More background:

I have 2 hard disks, 400 gig.  One was a second drive
inside my windows box, used as backup call it (1), and
the second is a vista bootable, call it (2).  Both have
ntfs.

I'd like to keep the bootable Vista for awhile ( heaven knows why..
just a "thing" with me )..  and use the free space as a linux backup.
This is really expendable  . . .  depends on the above answers.

thanks,

Walt . . .

----
 The government is lawless, not the press (people).
 ( [Supreme Court] Justice Douglas re: The Pentagon Papers )