[CALUG] November 14 Meeting Announcement -- NextCloud

Chuck Frain chuck at chuckfrain.net
Sat Nov 10 20:36:35 EST 2018

Greetings All,

For the November 14, 2018 CALUG meeting we will be welcoming Chuck Frain
who will be talking about NextCloud.

Chuck Frain will be talking about his uses for NextCloud. NextCloud is a
file sharing platform that is similar to Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive,
and others with one major difference: You own and control your data. This
is a free, Open Source (AGPL3) solution that is suitable for a single user,
family, small business and beyond. NextCloud can be installed on a
RaspberryPi, server, VM, and other platforms. This talk will give a high
level overview of how to install the server software and then move to focus
on a discussion and live demo of how it is used. We will discuss the use of
app addons for the platform and some of the known issues with the addons
and features. We will also cover topics related to why you may not want to
use NextCloud.

The demonstration will include opportunities to participate. This will
require at least a laptop with a web browser connected to the internet
(UMBC Training Center offers guest wifi). If you would like to install a
NextCloud client on your laptop or mobile device, links to those can be
found at https://nextcloud.com/install/#install-clients. Configurations
including the site and username/password will be available prior to the
meeting.

We will be hosted at the UMBC Training Center located at 6996 Columbia
Gateway Dr #100, Columbia, MD 21046. When you walk in through the mail
lobby make a right. We will be at the end of the hall in the last room on
the right. Our friends at Aplura will be providing the pizza and soda
starting at 6:30. The talk will start about 7pm.

We are looking for speakers for the upcoming months. If you have a topic
you would like to present on, please let me know and I’ll get you scheduled.

http://calug.org
https://www.umbctraining.com/Home
https://aplura.com
https://nextcloud.org