[CALUG] Looking for Distro and Virtualization recommendations

EvelBit Knievel evel.bit.knievel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 17:01:29 EST 2018

only because I'm a stickler for terminologies  You mean Host OS to run your Type 2 Hypervisor on, to run your guest VMs, correct?

I would think you would want to get as close to bare metal (hardware) as you can. So if you're not looking at a Type 1 Hypervisor (e.g. esxi), then I think an Operating System that isnt resource intensive, such as Linux, would be the better option to install a type-2 hypervisor on. In which case you have several flavors to choose from, KVM, VirtualBox, VMware, etc. I'm not sure what Xen requires. Someone else can speak to that, Nd as far as PCIE compatibility, where that's also something I never checked. I would think a lot of this stuff you can google to find featurea and capabilities for each hypervisor.

I myself am running MacOS + VMware Fusion on one rig, Ubuntu + VMware Workstation on another, MacOS + VirtualBox on another.

Also take into consideration if you want to be able to do snapshots or node clustering.

Hope this helps a little. I'm by no means a Virtualization Guru, just a hobbyist.

-MW