[CALUG] Looking for advice

Open Source Rocks opn.src.rocks at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 09:48:39 EST 2019

Fantastic discussion - i learnt a few new things. I have always played it
safe since I switched over to linux back in 2001 for my main desktop.
Always went with Intel CPUs. I am not gamer, so did not need Nvidia or any
external video cards. Now a days, my son plays on the computer and I have
Nvdia card. In the last 7 to 8 years, I have not had an issue with Nvidia
drivers. The OS prompts me if I want to use Nvidia drivers or Open source
drivers and I go on.

I have noticed on one of my laptops (toshiba - 4k touch screen) it has some
kind of a hybrid nvidia/intel graphics card or chip (intel 530, nvdia
gm107m/gtx 950m). The OS (deepin linux) prompted me multiple options (a)
intel default (poor compatibility), (b) open source driver (poor
performance), (c) Bumblebee solution (save power to reduce power
consumption) & (d) NV-Prime Solution (for laptops with hybrid graphics).

I chose (c) and it has been working well, at least with the steam games my
son and I play.

A note of OS - I have gone down a different path from Ubuntu or Fedora or
even Linux Mint - I switched over to Deepin Linux. It has worked with all
kinds of hardware I have thrown at it - right from Core 2 Duo to i7 4th
gen. Sadly though, they no longer support 32-bit hardware, so my core 2 duo
is stuck on an older version of Deepin Linux.

Good discussion, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will try to make it in
today.

-Rajiv