[CALUG] 64 bit OS

Dan Deighton ddeighton at aplura.com
Wed Aug 22 12:48:21 EDT 2007

Russ,

I've had good luck with the 64-bit version of Fedora 6.  The 64-bit
version of Ubuntu gave me quite a few problems on 2 different machines.
Things just wouldn't work.  It was strange.

Regardless of which distro you choose, watch out for Add-ons with 64-bit
firefox.  Many don't work or require extra effort to get them to work.
I ended up using 32-bit firefox on my 64-bit machines.  This is not a
problem, since you can have the 32-bit libraries installed alongside the
64-bit libraries.

Accessing your shares using Samba should be fairly straightforward.
There is a lot of good documentation out there.  To get started, check
out smbmount
(http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smbmount.8.html) and
smbclient
(http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smbclient.1.html)

Both nautilus and konqueror will give you access via a GUI.

 -Dan