[CALUG] Linux choices

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Wed Dec 19 11:38:40 EST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007, at 10:21 AM, Clinton Ebadi wrote:
> Russ <rmain at polaris.umuc.edu> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to install and dual boot a another version of linux at
>> home.  I'd
>> like to backup data, share files between Windows and Linux,
>> practice web
>> development, web deployment, scripting, have a stable, dependable
>> system,
>> and learn more about Linux. I am a recent CS graduate.   I'm
>> looking for
>> pros/cons on wheteher to use RHEL vs. Fedora.  Are there big
>> disadvantages/limitations in using RHEL and not paying for
>> support?  Do I have
>> access to the same package updates/resources that a paying
>> customer has?
>
> I would suggest steering clear of Redhat derivatives. They are only
> just now kind of catching up to the quality that Debian had around
> 1999. That said, if you really must use either RHEL or Fedora go with
> Fedora because RHEL is really only meant for /Enterprise/ development,
> and my sysadmin friends who have to deal with it want to take Bob &
> Marc out behind the chemical sheds... (e.g. when your license expires
> you can't update anymore)

Wait so your saying your sysadmin friends are mad at RedHat because
they can't get updates after they stopped paying for their updates?
That's kinda like saying you got mad at the phone company because you
couldn't call to order a pizza after the phone company turned your
service off for not paying your phone bill.  Sure you can be mad, but
not to many people are going to sympathize with you.

Just as a suggestion, if they really don't want to pay for RedHat
updates and don't want RedHat support, then they should look at
converting their servers over to CentOS equivalent systems which
isn't to hard to do.  Updates are free, but not guaranteed.  I've
done the conversion before it works fine if you take your time.

Back to the original question:

As for me, I've had lost of great experience with both RHEL and
CentOS.  I use RHEL at work because work has no problem paying for
the license when it's needed, I use CentOS at home, cause I can't
afford RHEL licenses, and really don't need that level of support.
Installs are easy on server/workstation class hardware, often easier
than Windows installs, and much easier the debian installs.

If your looking for a good desktop system the latest Fedora 8 is
excellent, as is Ubuntu and Knoppix for a new user.  I haven't used
Ubuntu or Knoppix much, but I've been impressed the few times I have
played with it.  I still stick to Fedora as it's a great distro and
is more aligned with the servers I maintain.

As for Debian, I've found it's good for servers, but I wouldn't
recommend it to a new user.  There installer is still way behind most
other distros in ease of use and access to advanced features.  They
are there, but it's a pain in the butt to figure out unless you are
well versed.  Also, their stable branch tends to be behind the curve
on latest features compared to most of the other distros.  You have
to run their test version to really get the latest options.  It's
been better in recent years as they've stepped up release speeds, but
for a workstation/desktop i wasn't impressed.

If you really want a desktop Linux based on debian, go Ubuntu.
Ubuntu does a better job of releasing a desktop debian than debian does.

As someone suggested if you are really new, look into either a LiveCD/
DVD version of Linux that will let you play around with out
installing, or take a look at VMWare Player as a way to test linux
with out making the commitment.

And as for Windows, quite frankly it's a horrible linux distro, even
with Unix services for Windows installed.  It lacks native support
for almost every linux app out there.  And the command line is
horribly out dated in functionality.  The GUI is nice, but besides
notepad, write and outlook express, there aren't to many programs
that come with the distribution to make use of the GUI.  You'll have
to spend a lot of time downloading different programs scattered all
over the web and/or shell out some big bucks to buy them.  If you
want to dual boot that fine, but really stick to Linux if you want to
get any real work done.  ;-)

-David

David A. Cafaro <dac at cafaro.net>
Cafaro's Ramblings:  www.cafaro.net