[CALUG] NAS / SAN / external hard-drive

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Tue Feb 20 09:30:51 EST 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:10:10 -0500, "Rajiv Gunja" <opn.src.rocks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know of a good, yet cheap (affordable) externally attached storage,
> would love to have it as a NAS and if it is RAID-1 capable, even better. I
> looked into building my own NAS (OpenNAS), but seems like the commercial
> ones cost almost the same as building our own NAS.
> Thoughts, views, insight, comments most welcome.

Check out OpenFiler and FreeNAS.  The former is Linux-based, the latter uses FreeBSD-6.x.  Both seem to work fine, although I prefer the interface and simplicity with FreeNAS.  The network transport and authentication methods differ, so that may dictate your choice.

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting