[CALUG] trouble mounting usb cdrw

Russ rmain at polaris.umuc.edu
Thu Jul 26 07:44:45 EDT 2007

Bernie/Calug,

Once again, thanks for the help, and I appreciate the valuable input.  You
asked why I wanted to burn to an optical drive instead of using
cpio/rdist.  Well... for a few reasons. I'm a newbie.  I have never used
cpio/rdist.  I dont have the newer machine yet. I wanted a portable backup
copy.  The machine that I want the files off of does not have an
ethernet card.  Only last week did I figure out how to mount the floppy
and the internal cdrom to the file system.  Also, since I'm fairly new
and, I think Linux is very cool, I thought making it work would be a
nice challenge for me.   It has become a bit exhaustive though. One of
my thoughts during this challange was to buy and ethernet card and copy
across my own network.  Being a newbie, I figured setting up the ethernet
card would be a challenge for me, so I focused on the USB CDRW.  Anyway,
after my longwinded answer, my goal is to copy the home directory
off of the older machine.  So, any ideas or enlightenment are very much
appreciated.

thanks

Russ

thanks Russ