[CALUG] jikes Java complier can't find java.lang

Jim Sansing jjsansing at verizon.net
Wed Jun 6 20:19:19 EDT 2007

Oh boy!  Well, Java is kind of like C/C++, but not really,
and kind of like Perl, but not really, and kind of like a few
other languages, but not really.

I have used Sun java and Eclipse successfully.  For both,
the hardest part was the classpath.  However, I'm sure that
you have to have the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
set correctly first.  In Jikes that is probably the sourcepath
and maybe the bootclasspath.  The LD_LIBRARY_PATH
must be set to any *.so files that are needed if they are not
in the standard lib directories (Eclipse has some of its own).

After that, the classpath includes:
- directories with any *.class files to be run
- the path to any *.jar files imported by *.class or
  other *.jar files
Which implies that you know:
- what *.jar files are being imported (you'll get messages
  about these--one at a time as they are added to classpath)
- where those *.jar files are located

If this is really important, you might get some help from the
Jikes forums.

Good luck.

Later . . .   Jim