[CALUG] Looking for hardware

Jason C. Miller jason.c.miller at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 09:14:01 EST 2007

Hey all.  I'm wanting to know if there's a piece of hardware out there
that matches the following description...

I'm looking for something that can extend the distance between a PC's
chassis and it's peripherals (ie. keyboard, mouse, monitor).  So,
instead of plugging in a monitor/mouse/keyboard into the chassis
itself, you'd plug it into some significantly smaller device which
would have some kind of trunk line back to the chassis somewhere else
in the room.

It's rather like a KVM in that you don't plug the usual things into
the chassis.  I'm looking for something that simply extends
range...not allows KVM functionality.

I'm currently using an Avocent AMX5120 unit on my desk at work.  It
does the job nicely, but it's one of those things that was built for a
completely different (and much larger) purpose and costs $1500 a pop.

I've tried simple cable extenders in the past, but that has proven to
be unreliable at best.

Any ideas?

                                         ~j