[CALUG] 64 bit OS

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Thu Sep 6 19:29:57 EDT 2007

Russ <rmain at polaris.umuc.edu> writes:
> I just built a 64 bit machine, and I'm looking for a good OS to run on
> the beast. Any suggestions, or experiences are appreciated.  Should I
> stick to running it as a 32 bit machine for a year or two instead?  If you
> would like hardware specifics please let me know.

I've been running pure 64-bit Debian since a few months before Etch
was released, and have had no problems tracking unstable since
then. My last install of Debian had been when potato was new and I was
pleasantly surprised that it took all of ten minutes to install with
full hardware support in the stock kernel.