[CALUG] Thunderbird problem - solved -additional

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 9 18:42:08 EDT 2008

re:  SMTP/server/username account on freeshell.org

I sent in $20 this week for the "VPM" option
for the "arpa" account.
The shell command:
$dues

doesn't show they activated it yet ( or maybe won't show?).
After not getting SMTP to actually work earlier today, I read thru
the docs some more ( well, more like multiple sections of the FAQ).
It now works ( VPM or no ?).
I didn't have the right SMTP login username.

A shell user will have login:
"username"
A dialup username will be "username at tenex.org"
A SMTP username on dialup will be "username.tenex.org" !!!
(in order to "send" email from a "computer client").
and does require a password, unlike many ISP dialin's.

I think the lonestar (freeshell) account is a good one.
There are a lot of reasonable and cheap offers.
I see that there are hostnames connected that have specific
computer architecture representations.  Neat.
I haven't yet figured out how to use them or even get into them,
but the list is quite interesting.

http://www.lonestar.org
http://sdf.lonestar.org
http://www.freeshell.org

all 3 have a different appearance, and a re-direct.

Walt....