[CALUG] My EeePC 1000 Review

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Fri Aug 22 11:22:16 EDT 2008

On Aug 22, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:24:36AM -0400, Megan Larko wrote:
>> David A.Cafaro wrote:
>>
>> Hello All!
>>
>> Thank you for your review David.  I am considering one of these units
>> myself.   Thank you to Rajiv for the comments/discussion.
>>
>> On the security issue/question,  I am not familiar with Xandros but I
>> had thought that David implied a shell prompt/terminal window
>> available
>> on the EeePC 1000 (I would never have a box, including Windows,
>> without
>> one).   If there is a shell prompt wouldn't it be possible to just
>> secure the box by turning off the services via a utility such as
>> chkconfig (RH type) or just removing the entry from /etc/rc.d/rcX.d
>> (choose appropriate path for RH, Deb, SuSE variants)?
>
> Xandros is derived from debian. In debian one should disable a service
> by moving the symlink from an S to a K. i.e. /etc/rc?.d/S20fooservice
> should be changed to /etc/rc?.d/K20fooservice
>
> Simply removing the link will not be honored when the package for the
> service is upgraded.
>
> Not sure if xandros departs from standard debian practice in this
> regard.

The Xandros on the Eeepc did depart from this.  Though the debian
start stop files and commands are there, you can not disable these
service using them.  You have to go edit some special startup files
that Xandros created for the EeePC.  Details can be found here:

http://www.cafaro.net/2008/08/14/how-to-secure-and-eee-pc-1000-and-why/

Cheers,
David

David A. Cafaro <dac at cafaro.net>