[CALUG] Opinions on whole Disk encryption (for Linux)

Rob Payne inagada.davita at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 11:21:50 EST 2008

I don't want the drag this off topic, but wanted to mention my
experience.  This is probably more of a lesson in the importance of
backing up, but my experience with file vault in OS X left me very
cautious about using disk encryption.

I experienced a rare instance where I suddenly could do nothing to
interact with the operating system, not even to diagnose the issue.  In
the end, the only thing I could do was turn off the machine.  The
sparseimage for my home directory was corrupted as a result.  After
weeks of troubleshooting I still could not recover the image and had to
create a new user account

Yep, should have backed up regularly.  I guess my point is that power
and operating system issues do happen from time to time and can be much
more difficult and time consuming to recover from and cause more data
loss (even if you back up) when using disk encryption.

-Rob