[CALUG] opinion on book(s) on network security?

Jim Sansing jjsansing at verizon.net
Sun Jun 8 12:57:04 EDT 2008

I agree with Rajiv, for most home networks, books are overkill (or in
some cases, underkill).  My suggestions for home networks are:

- It is assumed that when you say 'home network' you have a router
connecting to your ISP.  If not, get one.  The 2 routers I have had were
set to disallow inbound connections to any port by default, but verify
this.  Then, if you allow any port to have access, specify the hosts or
subnets to be allowed to use it.  This will get you 75% of the way to a
protected network.

- If you have a wifi access point, make sure it has encryption enabled.
You will have to set a key on each computer that uses it.  WPA/WPA2 is
stronger than WEP, but if all your access point supports is WEP, at
least use it.

- If you have MSFT on your network, especially make sure unnecessary
services are turned off.  If you are not using file/print sharing,
disable it.  And it is my understanding that some versions have ports
open for unneeded services, such as database access, by default.  If you
haven't already, replace IE with Firefox (as your primary browser),
Outlook with Thunderbird, Office/Works with Open Office, chat apps with
Pidgin (GAIM), etc.

- Set BIOS passwords.

- Keep updates up-to-date.

- Educate everyone who has access to a computer on your network about
good passwords, how to handle spam, avoiding links that go to unknown
sites, and good netiquette.

- If you are still concerned, install nessus or nmap and run a local
scan periodically.  You can also install host IDSes, such as Tripwire (I
don't know of a FOSS equivalent for MSFT), on each host altho'
monitoring them can be time consuming--weekly is probably sufficient.

This much should put you in the top 90 percentile of secure home
networking, and will probably be enough to convince attackers to defer
to lower hanging fruit (ie. the bottom 90 percentile ;-).

Later . . .   Jim