[CALUG] Repairing Ubuntu 8.04 installation, or installing packages to an alternate destination?

Sean Wilkerson swilkerson at aplura.com
Wed Apr 29 15:54:46 EDT 2009

Ed,
IMHO, there are really great skills involved in resurrecting a dead
machine especially when it comes to managing critical systems.  This was
the major thing I took away from the experience of getting my RHCE.

However, what I have found is (at least for the time being) there are
many more complications with resurrecting an OS on a laptop than there
are on a server.  Laptops can have wacky hardware and OS distros change
how they deal with that hardware regularly (e.g. My Lenovo T60p built-in
802.11a/b/g card appeared in edgy, feisty, gutsy, hardy, and intrepid as
*ath0* but in Jaunty it is now *wlan0*).

For that reason, on my laptop, I rely heavily on LVM's.  I use
individual lvms for my homedir, workdir, datadir, softwaredir, mediadir,
and anything else special I need.  I reference all of the LVM's in my
fstab via their UUID (see 'man vol_id') and not path/name.  What I
found, is an upgrade (like the one I did from Intrepid --> Jaunty this
past weekend) takes hours to do over the wire and frequently leaves the
system in an unstable state (wonky video and wifi are prime targets).
But, a clean install with the ubuntu alternate installer (note: not the
liveCD) takes me about 45 minutes from start to finish (finish meaning I
am up and doing work).  I don't customize my system much and rely on
packages as much as possible with my special-needs things saved in my
softwaredir lvm for easy retrieval.

This method also allows me to have several LinuxOS lvms that I can
bounce back and forth between very easily, or try new ones whenever I
want to.  Currently I have 2 ubuntu, a fedora, and a debian LinuxOS lvm
that I can boot to as needed.

Sean