[CALUG] Linux Laptops

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Dec 3 10:19:02 EST 2009

It's been years since I've had even minor issues with Linux, and
I have to go back before 2001 to see major issues.  Then again
I've always purchased notebooks with at least either a nVidia
chipset (work "out-of-the-box", full GPL drivers in the kernel) or
"established" (i.e., been around at least 6-12 months) Intel chipsets.
So I highly recommend a nVidia chipset if you go AMD (it's hard to
get anything but Intel for Intel).

For video, I'm biased, but I only do nVidia with the closed source
driver.  A lot of notebook vendors do all sorts of things to their features,
output, etc... with other vendors (including Intel) and it's really
embarrassing when you're at a client site and you can't get the VGA,
DVI or HDMI output to work.  Since 2001, nVidia changed that with
the "Go" video (both discrete and chipset-integrated) and they force
OEMs, contractually, to not muck around with the components or they
get dropped ... hard.  I hate my company-issues Levono T60 because
I reguarly have output issues with external devices (among other
things), and the 3rd party tools for Intel chipset only solve a few of
them.

My mainstay notebooks have been as follows ...
- [2001-2006] Toshiba Satellite 2805 (i845 + original GeForce Go)
- [2006-2008] HP Pavilion dv9z (nV MCP51 +  GeForce Go 7600)
- [2008+] Gateway P-7811 (iP45 + GeForce 9800M GTS)

Every since unit has worked, including wireless, suspend and resume.
In the case of the P-7811, hardware works better under Fedora than
Windows Vista (which has various issues, always has).

--
Bryan J  Smith           Professional, Technical Annoyance
Linked Profile:         http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith